Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Coturnix Quail

I have wanted Quail since the planning stages of our MicroFarm. I made a list of what animals I wanted to raise and did a lot of research on each of them.
Coturnix Quail do not need any special permits here in Maine - some quail breeds do - and they seemed like the "gateway" quail breed and easiest to start with.  It also helps to have made a friend (Thank You Darren!!) who raises them and lives nearby.  He gave us 50 eggs to start out with and happy to say - they are hatching!!  They hatch like popcorn and are soooo tiny!  I thought our silkie chicks were little!

They are also voracious little eaters  - my goodness - right off the bat!  I can't wait to start getting eggs  - which should be in about 7 weeks or so.  Pretty instant compared to waiting on pullets!  I will be sure to update as we journey on our new little Coturnix Quail adventure.

If you raise quail please share tips, thoughts or even why you decided to etc in the comments below - we look forward to learning from you.

Just Hatched!

Coturnix Quail chicks standing on a quarter

No comments:

Post a Comment