Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

"Pullet Power"



Pullet Power
There is something pretty special about the time a pullet is about to lay her first egg.  So many physiological changes are rapidly occurring.  Arguably the most amazing food is about to come forth after what seems like an eternity on our part.  The egg – it is like finding hidden treasure in the sacred nest box. No matter how many eggs we gather a pullet’s first egg makes us excited again.
Once a pullet reaches the time of “Point of Lay” (POL) her diet will also change.  The ratio of nutrient needs will take a sharp curve as her body takes on a new role other than just growing.  Many at this time will move on to a commercial layer pellet that is formulated to assist with egg production.  Oyster shell may be added,  as well as crushed eggshells,  to assist with calcium and overall eggshell strength.
After much researching we have developed a new CackleBerry Cottage cake:  “Pullet Power”.  It is full of ingredients desperately needed by a POL pullet.  Nature is amazing in the bounty that she provides for all the right scenarios.  Fennel Seed, Garlic, Parsley, Thyme and Oregano are just a few of the ingredients that are essential to the well-being of a POL pullet.  Many herbs are also claimed to be “egg laying stimulants”.
Made in small batched from special order whole grains and herbs.  Grains are milled onsite as needed per batch.   Key ingredients such as Fennel Seed and Omega play a role in a healthy transition from a growing chick to a laying pullet. Bring on the eggs!

We also made a "tart" (in addition to the 8x8 cake version) to top with your treat of choice - we use meal worms here and the pullets are loving it!

Please share (in the comments section below) at what age did your pullets first lay and what breed or are you waiting now for a new batch of pullets to lay.  I am waiting on a few LF Cochins now  - I know they are super close and I am giving them "Pullet Power" for that extra needed boost.  


11 comments:

  1. We have 5 Buff Orpingtons. The first one started laying around 20 weeks. 2 more followed a week and 2 weeks later. Still waiting on the other 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a batch of Buckeyes about 6 months now that are just starting to lay. Of course when they just start they do lay sporatically for a while so it is hard to tell just who is laying. I watch the combs as a good indicator of about the time they will start. The redder the comb the sooner they lay. Another good indicator is when the rooster starts doing his thing with the pullets. A roo will not, or least not normally, touch the pullets till they get very close to laying. Different breeds start at different times, I have had some lay at 16 weeks and some not lay till almost 28 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have five red laying hens, probably a cross of new Hampshire and rhode island, they all started laying on their 17th week! My poor silkies are going on 23 weeks and nothing, but I know they are slow to mature. The boys have been crowing for a month now almost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some LF Salmon Faverolles that are about 17-18 weeks. They don't lay until around 26 weeks, give or take. But I may be looking into getting some if these. I wonder if it would also help my hens coming out of a molt, and getting back into the laying cycle again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read the post on "Molting Madness" - that will help them get through the molt and then once you can clearly see they are - "Pullet Power" will give them the egg laying boost they need to get back in production! :-)

      Delete
  5. White leg horns started lay at 22 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got 16 week old rhode island reds and gold sexlinks that should start laying soon. My 2 14 week old ameracaunas probably won't lay for a while yet. My kids run out to open the coop and check for eggs every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silver Grey Dorkings -- 22-24 weeks. Beautiful ladies and charming to boot!
    I blogged about them here:
    http://www.kelleycreekfarms.com/1/post/2013/08/something-to-crow-about.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an OE, that I hatched from my own BCM roo and Ameraucana hen. She won't lay until Dec, but I am super excited to see her eggs

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have 12 large breed pullets, three bantams and one cockerel, all 17 weeks. From about 13 weeks on, I had a little wager going with my husband that Wren, one of our Black Stars would be the first to lay. I have been watching her fill out along with comb and wattle growth and reddening of both. Last week I had a suspicion that she would be laying soon. On Tuesday, after my oldest daughter came home from her first day of preschool, we checked out the nesting box and sure enough we found our very first egg! Of course my two young daughters fought over it and they crushed it, but it was a medium sized double yoker. Since then, Wren has laid three more eggs. One per day, and all double yokers. Today we found an egg which was smaller than her normal so I think it may be from another bird that just started to lay today. If that is the case, than I am still waiting for 14 more pullets to start laying. I can't wait to see the bantam eggs! This is our first flock so we are all over the top excited! We also have red stars, golden laced wyandottes, buff orpingtons, RIR's, barred rocks, Easter eggers, an old English game hen, a porcelain fleur and a Mille de fleur.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started out with six pullets. I have no idea which one laid first but I believe it was one of the Delawares. The first egg laid was just two days past 20 weeks of age. I do have 1 Ameraucana that was the last one to lay, so she was the one we were waiting on. She started to lay about a month after the first egg was laid. She also lays 1 egg every two days. I'm currently on the loooonnnggg wait for a Salmon Favorelle to lay but she is only seven weeks old.

    ReplyDelete