Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Preparing for Jack Frost - Winterizing the Coop

Jack Frost comes at different times every year which I find to be completely faux pas.  A little consistency would be highly appreciated but alas he has proven an incorrigible rogue.  So we must start preparing for his possible and likely untimely arrival.

One of the first things we do is thoroughly inspect the coops for any possible predator entrances - a fisher - for example -  only needs a very small opening to squeeze into. I know someone who had a small hole drilled into the side of her coop just big enough for the plug part of extension cord to fit through - she removed the extension cord and a fisher used it it gain entrance and you can imagine the outcome.

We also do one last really good cleaning and put in our anti-mite shaving mixture (See here for more details on what is included Northern Fowl Mites).  Nest boxes are continuously cleaned as needed of course.  We use the deep litter method here.  It works for us and as long as we keep layering properly there is no smell, no dampness and no mite issues. The heat produced keeps the flock toasty warm and keeps us from adding any heat lamps - which I know many do and we have as well for young birds - but I always worry about fire.

Another thought process that I subscribe to is that birds acclimate as the weather changes.  I read a really great post on a poultry forum from a flock keeper in Alaska - she has never added heat to her coops.  She actually felt doing so caused more harm than good.  I tend to agree and one reason is - if the flock is used to supplemented heat and a nor'easter comes along and knocks out the power - and it does happen often where we are - the flock is going to be in real trouble!  I would be bringing them in the house!!

Another thing I have seen is that many do not realize that the roost should be flat and wide - not round - strapping makes great roosts or even 2x4's installed with the flat side up as the roost.  This way birds settle down and their legs and feet are fully covered with fluffy feathers and they are not "teeter tottering" to keep their balance which constantly exposes them to blasts of cold air.

For our smaller coops we use either straw or leaf filled bags (a good use for all the raked leaves that will be here in only moments)  as insulation around the outside.  I highly caution against using hay - as I have mentioned in previous posts - hay is an invitation to mites.

Diet needs will change as well - free ranged birds will no longer have that option and hot grains are added for warmth.  We increase both cracked corn and BOSS at this time of year.  Cracked corn and BOSS both will raise the internal temp of the bird.  It is a good plan to give these grains in the evening right before roosting for two reasons.  First it is of course colder at night and they need the extra boost and secondly it will be out of the system for egg laying the next day.  The rise in temperature can impede egg production - we feed very little cracked corn in the summer months because of this. Alfalfa pellets are also added to the feed mix and alfalfa cubes soaked in warm water make a nice green option. A  bowl of warm oatmeal with meal worms mixed in is another fantastic winter time treat.

If you have white birds - feeding them extra cracked corn can turn their plumage yellow.  I forgot to convey this to "Mr. Clover" last winter in regards to my SQ White Silkie Roo - and I was panicked once I realized he was turning yellow as I was certain he was ruined for the spring bird club show.  I bathed and bathed him to get that yellow out.  In the end he took 3rd but I swear I could still see a yellow hue.  So instead my white birds that I want to stay white get a mix of mostly BOSS with some cracked corn.  We start stocking up as soon as possible as grain prices do tend to raise in winter months.

We also use a raised bin watering system instead of the regular waterers.  They are easier to knock out ice and refill.  Heated water bowls meant for dogs are also another option - we have one for our larger laying flock.  I encourage that any open waterers be raised up (perhaps on cinder blocks) so that no waddles are dipped as this can lead to frostbite quickly. There are heated chicken waterers available out there and one day I hope to be able to get one for every coop - but until then we do what works for us now.

These are just a few of the things we do here at Clover Run and we would love to hear what you do.  I am sure there are many different tips and processes that we can all learn from.




1 comment: