Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Easy Peasy Bread Machine Jam

A some of you have probably surmised by now - I love gadgets! - especially kitchen gadgets.  I believe that if something makes life easier then of course!  Having 3 little ones as well as the poultry flocks and the rabbitry,  I cannot be tied to the stove stirring and watching for hours at a time.

So I am very happy to make my jam in the bread machine - or I should say - have the bread machine (all 3 of them) make jam for me -Yeah!!  I purchased all 3 of my bread machines second hand and all work great.  Make sure your machine has the "Jam" setting button - it usually near the bottom of the menu.

Having tried many recipes for bread machine jam, I found them pretty much all to be too sweet for my liking.  Fruit and berries are already sweet and I want to taste the fruit/berry of choice. So after researching, tweaking and trying here goes!!

This time I made "Jamboree Jam" using frozen berries - I had about 1/2 # of raspberries (from Wee Acre Farm) and 1/2# of strawberries and I added 1# of blueberries (also from Wee Acre Farm).

**Note: If your bread machine has a 2# loaf capability then by all means double this baby!! :-) I did!!

So here's what is needed:
1 Pound of Fruit or Berries of your choice (or mix thereof)  - fresh or frozen
 3 Tbsp of LOW/NO-Sugar Pectin - this is Important!
 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
 1 C sugar

Prepare the fruit as appropriate - wash, hull and chop into small pieces (ie apples/peaches) or smash (ie berries)  Using just a fork will work just fine.  For this batch I cut the larger strawberries into quarters and smaller ones in half.
Add into the fruit/berries the pectin, lemon juice and sugar -stir it up!  Pour the mixture into the bread pan and place into the bread machine and select "Jam" cycle.  That's it!








(Now go flip laundry - load the dishwasher  - strip the beds -vacuum - feed the cat - gather the eggs - prep dinner -  get the oil changed in the minivan -(or in my case go work on a paper due in a few days)  you get my drift ;-)

When cycle is complete  - remove the pan from the bread machine and allow to cool for a bit before pouring into container or jars.  Do not completely cool or it will set up in your bread pan.

There are two options at this point you can refrigerate and/or freeze OR hot water bath/can it.
Refrigerate for up to 3 months and freeze for up to 12 months.  I chose to refrigerate this time as we will use it before 3 months are up.

Would love to know if you plan to try this or have already made jam in your bread machine.
What kind did you make and how did you like it - was it "Easy Peasy"??












1 comment:

  1. I have two machines and never notice if it had a jam cycle. If it does i'll be making some jam this weekend...

    ReplyDelete